Saturday, July 19, 2008

Guatemala

Well, I can't believe that I leave for Guatemala on Tuesday! This trip seemed like it was so far away but here it is, less than 72 hours away. A lot of my time lately has been spent thinking about, praying about and packing for my trip. I was trying to avoid that last minute panic stricken feeling I always seem to get as the departure date draws near by packing a little bit each day. Somehow, despite my efforts, I think I will still feel that wave of panic on Monday night. I have to be at the airport at 4:00 A.M. (What???? Are the birds even up at that time???? I am not at all ashamed to admit that I am NOT a morning person, never have, never will be!). Our flight leaves out of Milwaukee at 5:30 A.M. I will be frantically setting about 6 alarms (and of course will be checking them about 10 times each to avoid missing my flight!). Actually, who am I trying to kid about being able to sleep....I can never sleep when I have to be up for something as important as this.

Many emotions have been running through my head over these last 4 weeks regarding this mission trip. I'm excited because I have always wanted to do this and am finally getting the opportunity to go on a mission trip. I'm nervous because I've never left the U.S. and I'm not the greatest traveler in the world (slightly OCD, o.k., more than just SLIGHTLY OCD). I'm anxious because I have not been feeling the best due to some health issues that I have been dealing with. I have been trying to get adequate rest in preparation for my upcoming adventure.

Psalm 139:23 "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts"


With that being said, I have had some intense conversations with God lately. I want this trip to be about God and doing His work. I need to put my own concerns in God's hands and realize that He will equip me with whatever it is that I will need. I have been praying that I will completely trust God 100% with every single aspect of this trip.....safe travel, preparing my heart as well as our other team members heart's for what God has planned for us, being gracious to all those that we meet, allowing God to work through us and not letting our own "personal" agendas interfere with the bigger plan, seeing others through God's eyes and not my own, not allowing any personal biases to cloud my thoughts, giving of myself freely for the greater good of the mission and those that we are serving.


[Philippians 4:13 "I can do everything through him who gives me strength."]


Everyone that I have talked to that has gone on a mission trip has said that it is a wonderful and life-changing experience. I welcome the change and am grateful for this opportunity to be a servant of God!


Stay tuned......I return from my trip on July 31st..........

3 comments:

Amy L Brooke said...

I will be praying for you! You will do great!

Kat said...

Here is my passage for you. I read it a million times on my trip to Russia and it brought me much peace.

Philippians 4:11-13

John is praying for you too. He says you'll love it and may loose you your heart there.

cautious1 said...

Thanks for your prayers!

I will definitely read the verse and keep it on my heart!

Everyone says that you leave a part of your heart in the place that you travel to on a mission trip! See you when I get back on the 31st!