Friday, August 1, 2008

Back in the U.S.A.

It was weird waking up this morning in the United States after spending the last 10 days in Guatemala. The mission trip was an amazing experience - one that I recommend everyone take at some point in his or her lifetime. Whether it be Guatemala, Russia, South Africa, the middle East, wherever, a person will be forever changed. God is AMAZING!

I am having a difficult time trying to find the words to explain what I have seen, what I have experienced, how I have seen God at work through others, as well as myself. Until one is actually involved in an incredible journey such as this, understanding and comprehending the emotions involved is a bit difficult. I have not had much time to process what these last 10 days of my life have been like. Thankfully, I journaled each night so I look forward to going back and reliving each day once the reality of my life here sets in.

We were extremely busy each day so we had very little down time. Our morning devotional time was one of the best parts of my day because it enabled me to really feel God's presence in and among us. The worship, reflection time and prayers were extremely moving for me. I have found myself being brought to tears so often in the last month at church. Guatemala was no different. I have questioned myself as to why I have been so emotional in church and during the devotional time and have realized that it is the Holy Spirit at work within me. It is such an incredible thing and I feel that I have grown closer to God over these past 4-5 weeks. Isn't this what God intends for us to do? He is a faithful God and if we completely put our trust in Him, he will reveal himself to each one of us. God wants us to be totally reliant on Him, even if we feel the need to have control over some parts of our lives.

I saw God working in wonderful and awe-inspiring ways. Thinking about it moves me to tears. The people in Guatemala were wonderful. To see the joy in their hearts in the midst of poverty is indescribable! The love that the children poured out to each and every member of our mission team was a sight to see. The children were truly amazing gifts from God. I am so thankful that God presented this opportunity to me and that he provided for me while I was on this trip. I had many doubts going in, but God proved time and time again that he will provide for our needs. He will provide healing, strength, courage, love, relationships, perserverance and the ability to see others through his eyes if we ALLOW him to do those things.

Regardless of what language a person speaks, a smile or a hug is a universal language of love. I was moved by the children's willingness to reach out to a group of strangers that look nothing like them, that for the most part didn't speak their language and who have no idea what it is to live life in their shoes. The love that they extended to us will be forever etched in my heart. The joy on the childrens' faces was priceless when they saw their own faces on our digital cameras. The kids loved it when we took their pictures. Something so simple, yet so meaningful to a 6 year old child as well as all of the people on our team.

Colossians 3:17
"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."

Thank you God for giving me the courage to say "YES" and for revealing your faithfulness to me throughout this trip to Guatemala.

3 comments:

Kat said...

Can't wait to hear more about it and see some pictures! I will have to come over and show you how to post pics :)

John Daniel said...

Very Very awesome! Gald to have you back. Post some pics! = )

Amy L Brooke said...

Can't wait to hear more. Glad you had a good and safe trip.