Sunday, May 11, 2008

It's Spring - (I think)

While the calendar says that it is May 11th, I'm not so sure the weather realizes that it is May 11th. Our temperatures have ranged from the mid-high 60's all the way down to the low 40's with frost advisories. Come on - can we get a break one of these days???? All right, I'll stop complaining about the weather, especially since I have devoted at least 3 of my blogs to my dissatisfaction with the chilly, snowy, unpredictable weather that one is subjected to in the Midwest. Now, for those who have NEVER visited the Midwest, it's not always as bad as you might think (especially those of you that are used to rather balmy conditions without a snowflake to speak of). I would encourage you at some point in your life to visit because there really are some nice places to see along with some friendly faces to meet! We really are nice people (and I'm not just saying that).

The official rite of passage of winter into spring occurred for me yesterday as I cut my lawn for the very first time in 2008. I LOVE the smell of freshly cut grass - it always makes me smile because it brings me back to my childhood. The smell of fresh cut grass and the whir of lawn mowers signaled the end of the school year and the rapid approach of summertime when I was a child. I still love that smell and know that summer break is right around the corner for me. There's nothing better than looking at my newly trimmed lawn and reveling in the fact that summer will soon be here.

0 comments: